Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Orchestre Poly-Rythmo de Cotonou Dahomey

Someone recently asked me if I could have seen any band live and in their prime who would it have been. Aside from the JBs, I think I would have to say Orchestre Poly-Rythmo. They were from the West African country of Benin and specifically Benin's largest city Cotonou. Orchestre Poly-Rythmo were one of the tightest bands to ever come out of Africa. Seeing such energy live on stage would have probably made my head explode. They have tons of music out there too and recorded at least 500 songs between 1970 and 1983. There are also a lot of great complilations available through labels such as Soundway Records and Analog Africa. Please go get some of their music, it will make you freak on the dancefloor or in the bedroom.



No comments: