Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Finally picked up some new wax...



Did pretty well at Groove Merchant today.

I was going through some serious vinyl withdrawal from not getting any new wax so I walked down to Haight from my house. Just a short walk with plenty of sunshine along the way. (The weather has been amazing, 70 degrees in January!)

Picked up 2 dope LPs and a 7 inch.

I am really stoked on this one.


Harumi (Self-Titled) 1968



Ex-pat Japanese musician worked with producer Tom Wilson on this rare double LP psychedelic masterpiece. Aparently after Harumi recorded one other album he vanished without a trace, the allure of which makes me dig this shit even more. Edan samples the track Hello on his album Beauty and the Beat. Good choice dood! Tons of cool shit to rip offa this one.

The other LP I picked up was Grace Jones' Island Life.



Produced by Chris Blackwell in 1985. Really, really amazing production. Timeless in fact. Glad I finally picked this up.

The last record I picked up was from my homey Mophono.

Mophono - The Shuffle (CB Records)



I was really happy to see Mophono getting some love on the Soul Sides blog recently for his past two 7 inch releases, The Shuffle and The Edge.

Peep my review of Mophono's The Edge record release party here and peep the Soul Sides mention here.

DON'T FORGET MOPHONO IS MY GUEST NEXT MONTH FOR AFREAKA! ON WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 4TH AT THE ATTIC!!!




Other than picking up these gems not a whole lot is new. Still just looking for a job other than DJing to make some cash so I won't feel as guilty picking up new records.

If anyone knows of any job opportunities around SF please hit me up.

COUNTDOWN TO B-ROCK IN OFFICE: 7 DAYS!!!!!

No comments: